Monday, January 10, 2005

home Automation: voice applications

I believe that the futuer of computer interaction is through voice, i hope that speech / voice will replace the keyboard as the major means of communication with a computer. I am not banishing the keyboard to the realms of the punch cards, but I see limited scope for it once voice takes off.
Many organizations have been working double overtime since centuries (in computer development time) with little success. I dont see effecient voice os's anywhere in the near future, but here is what I envision for my home automation system in terms of voice.
first I should be able to control the music thats playing with my vocie, i.e. I want a madonna song, I should just say so, britney should be a britney away, not goto computer search for song or open application, same with shutting lights on / off, turning appliances on or off etc. Also I want my computer to read out stuff to me, news, new emails or notificatiions, such as "adarsh you have 3 emails from angelina jolie, 10 junk messages from jlo and its your brothers birthdays today, remember to buy ........."

How do we achieve this,
voice input: there are a three ways, bluetooth and wireless 802.11 and cell phone.
cellphone: call a number, there seem to be a glut of telephony applications, which provide telephonic interactions, well this might be a way to control stuff at home from far away, such as shut heater off or turn on, etc this is not such a big priority as I am envisioning that I will be able to integrate home automation with a messenger which will be accesable through any internet enabled device.
bluuetooth: I think we can have a bluetooth microphone placed in a couple of places in the house, or in each room, which recognizes voice and sends it to a computer nearby which converts the speech to text and thereby to a command and the comman is executed.
Another thing is tohave a wireless device, say a pocket pc with voice recognition and then it sends it to the computer in the room which needs to do the bidding say "bedroom play nina simone" etc
what happens if its a very big house, then will need a microphone in every room or a portable microphone whichw e will need to take everywhere, not a bad preposition, but either way I think bluetooth would not be a good choice beacuse of the meagre 10ft limitation of blue tooth, though it would be a cheaper option to use bluetooth as its a more light weight protocol, and one way to overcome it would be to have a computer in strategic palces and they have blue tooth receivers and they would process information.
the ideal cazse would be an embedded microphone in my body, now that wouldbe cool, but too many ramifications, ramifications of health, wealth and other personal issues.

I am thinking the best idea is a mix of both, a room with a computer should have a blue tooth microphone, especially bathrooms, living rooms bedrooms. One shpould also have a hand held device, something like a remote which would so the same, so that one can carry around if one is going to the porch or so, justlike taking a remote.

one low cost option, especially if looking for low cost, non voice, specific command remote, is something I have working now in myplace. I have an x10 remote, and a serial adapter on my computer which takes in x10 signals, so right now if i press a certain button it will play a random song, i could make it a little bit more specific by programing more signals, one can have over 200 codes, but who wants to remember so many commands, at some point fo time we need a voice controller or a voice remote.
now thats cool a voice remote instead of a button one, this will be a the first step in this direction, since basically we are talking about a remote here, a remote with more capabilities than ust o change channels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home